Writing in The New Yorker in the New Year

I read the The New Yorker to find out what to read. I take my direction from the magazine’s always on-point book reviews. But Louis Menand’s December 20th review essay, about the dire state of the humanities, prompted me to write to The New Yorker and to write about writing.  Here is my letter about the role of composition in revitalizing the humanities, published in the January 24,2022 issue.

It’s winter in The Bronx and we’ve had a bit of a gloomy start to the new year. So here’s to this New Yorker looking ahead to spring (or at least to the spring semester), and to the writing classes that may help us turn the page on the past, and even compose a new chapter for 2022.

About Jessica Yood

I am an Associate Professor of English at Lehman College, The City University of New York (CUNY). Composition and Rhetoric is my primary field and research into the history and emerging role of writing in our contemporary culture continues to broaden my definition of this discipline. Work for my book project takes me into the history of literary criticism in America, complexity theories, the culture wars and the intellectual crises of the 1990s, and the enduring complexity of first-year writing and writers.
This entry was posted in Writing. Bookmark the permalink.